Grand Opening and Reception
Sunday, September 3rd, 2023, at 5:30pm
The Venue Fine Art & Gifts,
114 S. Grant St., Bloomington, IN 47408
The Venue is the longest standing, privately owned, multi-medium Art Gallery in the City of Bloomington, Indiana. We are located in the Bloomington Entertainment & Arts District (BEAD), in our free-standing Victorian building, a stone’s throw from the Sample Gates entrance into Indiana University’s campus.
OUR CHALLENGE TO YOU: At The Venue we believe that Bloomington is a very special place; a place that nourishes the body, mind, and spirit of those who are privileged to call it home, alongside those who only visit for days, weeks, months, or years. While we recognize that Bloomington has its challenges, we are not shy about our belief in Bloomington Exceptionalism.
The Venue challenges you, as an observant artist, to capture, express, and share your personal experience of Bloomington. Creatives of Art from everywhere, including Bloomington, are welcome to participate. Fresh eyes can sometimes see the forest more clearly, even while also celebrating the trees.
Final Application Deadline: Midnight, August 10th, 2023
ART ELIGIBILITY: From all the submissions the Jurors will select 25 pieces that will constitute the show. All submissions must be original and created by the submitting Artist. All submissions selected for the Show must be for sale, subject to The Venue's normal commission, at an agreed upon reasonable price. The show will be The Venue’s feature show for the month of September.
ARTIST ELIGIBILITY: All of those who create are eligible.
- Miah Michaelsen is the Executive Director of the Indiana Arts Commission. Prior to assuming this state-wide role, Miah was the first Assistant Economic Development Director for the Arts for The City of Bloomington (BEAD). Over the last two decades, Miah has been a professional at the center of, and a leader of the area arts community. Miah resides in Bloomington.
- Gabriel Colman is a co-founder of The Venue and has served as its curator for ten years. Gabe holds a fine arts degree from Indiana University, and has had significant experience in Bloomington, as an art dealer and as a qualified art appraiser. Gabriel resides in Bloomington.
- Robert Kingsely is a professor emeritus of DePauw University in Greencastle. He taught painting and art history at DePauw for over 35 years, all while residing in Bloomington. He is an active member of our art community, with a wealth of experience in creating and evaluating art. Bob resides in Bloomington.
- Elliot Reichert is the Curator of Contemporary Art at the Eskenazi Museum of Art, at Indiana University, where he oversees the entire contemporary art program. Elliot has vast experience as an art curator, editor, researcher and critic. Elliot resides in Bloomington.
AWARDS: All participants whose works are selected for the Show and their guests, will be our honored guest at the Champagne and Dessert reception on Sunday, September 24th, at 6:00 PM. Cash recognition will be awarded for Best In Show, Silver Best in Show, and The People’s Choice. Gift certificates from The Venue will be awarded as Honorable Mention Awards.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: To apply to participate in The Art & Soul of Bloomington, simply contact The Venue at 812-322-1661 or 812-339-4200 or Venueartshow@gmail.com. We will be glad to assist you. All formal applications will be made by email with attached photographs, where appropriate. See the Prospectus on our website, TheVenueBloomington.com for show rules and details.
APPLICATION FEES: The Application Fee for up to two submissions will be $40.00 and $10.00 for each additional submission. Depending upon the Jurors decisions, an Artist may have more than one work in the Show. All fees must be paid at the time of registration and are non-refundable.
OPENING: The Opening of The Art & Soul of Bloomington V is on Sunday, September 3rd, beginning at 5:30 p.m., at The Venue. All participating Artists and the public are invited to attend. The Art & Soul of Bloomington V is The Venue Fine Art & Gift’s Featured Exhibition for the Gallery Walk, and for the entire month of September.
We at The Venue are excited to announce our “Art & Soul of Bloomington V,” our Premiere Juried Art Show, opening September 3rd, 2023. We believe that Bloomington is a very special place, a place that nourishes and challenges the body, mind, and spirit of those who are privileged to call it home. We are not shy about our belief in Bloomington Exceptionalism. The Venue challenges you, as an artist, to identify and express your personal experience of Bloomington.
As judging criteria, we are looking for skill in the use of a variety of materials, how well that medium relates to our theme, and how fully the artist’s intention or concept is presented and realized. The Jurors’ awards will reflect that artistic judgment. Virtually every medium will be accepted including but not limited to; Oil, Acrylic, Watercolor, Photography, Pastel, Drawing, Print, Mixed Media, Sculpture, Ceramics, Jewelry, Glass, Assemblage, Fabric and Computer Generated Art. Twenty Five pieces will be selected and included in the show.
Call to Artists for Submissions
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: Final Application Deadline, August 10th, 2023
GALLERY SHOW DATES: Opening Reception: September 3rd, at 5:30p.m.
CASH AWARDS: BEST IN SHOW, SILVER BEST IN SHOW, PEOPLE’S CHOICE, in amounts to be determined by collected submission fees, but not less than an aggregate of $250.00. Venue Gift Certificate Awards given for special merit.
ELIGIBILITY: This call for submission is open to all artists. This is a juried show for artists working in all traditional and non-traditional 2D and 3D media. All artwork must be original in concept, design and execution. Note: kit work or reproductions of original works in other media (such as giclee reproductions
of oil paintings), unless used as part of a mixed media work, will not be considered.
JUDGING: Entries that differ significantly from their digital images may be rejected. Decisions of the Judges are final.
SUBMISSIONS AND FEES: The fee for up to two submissions will be $40.00 and $10.00 for each additional submission.
All entries must be received by midnight, August 10th. All entry fees are non-refundable.
SIGN UP NOW: Begin by emailing or calling The Venue at Venueartshow@gmail.com or 812-322-1661 or 812-339-4200.
ACCEPTANCE: Notification of acceptance of work will be made via email or phone call by August 20th. A return confirmation of participation is required by August 25th to hold a spot in the show.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCEPTED WORK:
- Maximum Size: All acceptable art must be capable of passing through our doorways.
- All work must, if appropriate, be suitably framed to a professional standard. No clip frames, saw-tooth hangers, or taped edges. Canvases may have neat, painted, gallery wrapped edges.
- 2-D Work must be wired and ready for hanging, or easily displayed on a flat surface. No ceiling mounts or special installation requirements unless agreed to beforehand.
- Sculptors must provide their own pedestals.
- A label must be affixed to the work that indicates which end is the top and includes the following: Artist Name, Title, Medium, Dimensions, and Price. This information must correspond with the Accepted image as listed on our enrollment form. No artwork may be substituted.
- All artwork must be priced for sale, at a commercially reasonable price. Any work marked POR (Price on Request) or NFS (Not For Sale) will not be eligible for entry into the show.
- Work cannot be withdrawn, nor sales shipped, before the end of the show.
DELIVERY OF ACCEPTED WORK: Work can be hand delivered to The Venue, 114 S. Grant St. Bloomington, IN 47408, and unpacked by artist beginning on August 26th, continuing until August 28th. Work which cannot be hand-delivered should be ordered (UPS is our preferred carrier) to arrive at The Venue during the same time period. The handling fee for shipped works is $20.00 per package for the first 30lbs plus $1 per pound additional. The artist assumes all responsibility for insuring artwork against shipping damage or loss.
LATE ARRIVAL AND RETURNS: The Venue reserves the right to reject work that is late, is deemed unstable upon arrival, is not properly presented, or differs from the submitted digital image. Returns will be solely at the artist’s expense.
SALES, COMMISSIONS AND DELIVERY: The Venue will retain a 50% commission on all show sales. The listed sale price must be consistent with the artist’s normal retail sales pricing. No changes will be allowed. Sold works will remain until the end of the show. If sold items require shipping, The Venue will
manage shipping at the expense of the buyer.
REMOVAL: The return of artwork is the responsibility of the Artists, within 30 days of the end of the Show, unless otherwise agreed. Art not removed by 60 days from the end of show will become the property of The Venue Fine Art & Gifts.
USE OF IMAGES: Any image submitted may be used for any kind of marketing and promotional purposes directly related to this show. We will strive to credit individual artists as the opportunity allows. Copyright and all other rights remain that of the artist.
CONTACT/QUESTIONS: Please direct all questions prior to receiving your Notification Letter to Venueartshow@gmail.com. If accepted, your Letter will direct you to contact The Venue for further information.
ENTRY AGREEMENT: With the submission of artwork into The Venue’s Art & Soul of Bloomington Juried Art Show, the artist agrees to all the terms and conditions set forth in this prospectus. Other Questions?
CONTACT/QUESTIONS: Please direct all questions to David J. Colman at Venueartshow@gmail.com or 812-322-1661 or 812-339-4200.