A Juried Art Show Featuring the best of Bloomington Inspired Art & Literature
The Art & Soul of Bloomington IV, The Venue’s Juried Art Show
A CALL OUT TO ARTISTS: JULY
Grand Opening and Reception,
The Venue Fine Art & Gifts, 114 S. Grant St., Bloomington, IN 47408
A CALL OUT TO ARTISTS:
Grand Opening and Reception,
The Venue Fine Art & Gifts, 114 S. Grant St., Bloomington, IN 47408
The Venue is the longest-standing, privately owned, multi-medium Art Gallery in the City of Bloomington, Indiana. We are located in the Bloomington Entertainment & Arts District (BEAD), in our free-standing Victorian building, a stone’s throw from the Sample Gates entrance into Indiana University’s campus.
OUR CHALLENGE TO YOU: At The Venue we believe that Bloomington is a very special place, a place that nourishes the body, mind, and spirit of those who are privileged to call it home, along side those who only visit for days, weeks, months, or years. While we recognize that Bloomington has its challenges, we are not shy about our belief in Bloomington Exceptionalism. The Venue challenges you, as an artist, to identify and express your personal experience of Bloomington.
Deadlines for Applications:
Early Bird Application Deadline: May
Final Application Deadline: June
ART ELIGIBILITY: Twentyfive submissions will be selected by the Jurors for the Show. All forms of artistic expression are considered. All submissions must be original and created by the submitting Artist. All submissions selected for the Show must be for sale, subject to The Venue's normal commission, at an agreed upon reasonable price.
ARTIST ELIGIBILITY: All of those who create are eligible.
JURY PANEL: Three Jurors: Gabriel Colman, Jeanne Dutton, and Caleb Weintraub
1. Gabriel Colman is an Artist, a professional Art Appraiser, and the Curator/ Owner of The Venue Fine Art & Gifts.
2. Jeanne Dutton is a native of Lafayette, Indiana and an alumnus of Purdue University. Her watercolor activities began in 1997 and since she has studied with locally and nationally recognized artists. Jeanne is a stalwart of the Bloomington art community and is an active member of the Bloomington Watercolor Society, having served in various offices and as it's President. She has been the editor of the BWS newsletter, Brushstrokes. Jeanne has displayed her work in galleries in Bloomington, Nashville, and Columbus, Indiana, and has taught Beginning Watercolor classes at Ivy Tech’s Center for Lifelong Learning since 2007.
3. Caleb Weintraub is an associate Professor and Area Coordinator of Painting at The Indiana University School of Art, Architechiture + Design. He earned a BFA from Boston University and an MFA from The University of Pennsylvania. Caleb has had solo shows in New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago. His paintings and sculptures have appeared in contemporary art fairs in Miami, London, and Zurich. Caleb has been an artist-in-residence at Redux Art Center in South Carolina and the Santa Fe Art Institute. You can view a selection of Caleb's work on his website, www.calebweintraub.com.
AWARDS: All participants whose works are included in the Show will be our honored guests at the champagne and dessert opening reception on July 6th, 2019. Cash recognition will be awarded for Best in Show, Silver Best in Show, and People’s Choice, and gift certificates will be awarded as Honorable Mention Awards, in an aggregate amount to be determined by the total registration, but no less than $500.00.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: To apply to participate in The Art & Soul of Bloomington, simply contact The Venue at 812-322-1661 or Venueartshow@gmail.com. We will be glad to assist you. All formal applications will be made by email with attached photographs, where appropriate. See the Prospectus on our web site, TheVenueBloomington.com for rules and details.
APPLICATION FEES: From now until midnight, May 6th, 2019, the Early Bird Application Fee is $40.00 for one submission and $5.00 for each additional submission. From May 5th, until midnight of June 12th, the Application Fee for one submission fee will be $45.00 for one submission and $10.00 for each additional submission. Depending upon the Jurors decisions, an Artist may have more than one work in the Show. All fees must be paid at the time of registration, and are non-refundable.
OPENING AND RECEPTION: The Opening and Reception for The Art & Soul of Bloomington is on Saturday, July 6th, beginning at 6:00p.m, at The Venue. All participating Artists and the public is invited to attend.
The Art & Soul of Bloomington is The Venue’s Featured Exhibition for the Gallery Walk, and for the entire month of July.
Please continue reading for additional information found in the in Prospectus
The Art & Soul of Bloomington IV Prospectus
We at The Venue are excited to announce our “Art & Soul of Bloomington IV” Juried Art Show, opening July 6th, 2019. We believe that Bloomington is a very special place, a place that nourishes and challenges the body, mind, and spirit of those who are privileged to call it home. We are not shy about our belief in Bloomington Exceptionalism. The Venue challenges you, as an artist, to identify and express your personal experience of Bloomington.
As judging criteria, we are looking for skill in the use of a variety of materials, how well that medium relates to our theme, and how fully the artist’s intention or concept is presented and realized. The Jurors’ awards will reflect that artistic judgment. Virtually every medium will be accepted including but not limited to; Oil, Acrylic, Watercolor, Photography, Pastel, Drawing, Print, Mixed Media, Sculpture, Ceramics, Jewelry, Glass, Assemblage, Fabric and Computer Generated Art. Twenty Five pieces will be selected and included in the show.
Call to Artists for Submissions
Deadline for submissions: Early Bird May 8th, Final Application Deadline, June 12th, 2019
Gallery Show Dates: July 6th – August 1st. Opening Reception: Saturday, July 6th, 2019, at 6:00p.m.
CASH AWARDS: BEST IN SHOW, SILVER BEST IN SHOW, PEOPLE’S CHOICE, in amounts to be determined by collected submission fees, but not less than an aggregate of $250.00.
ELIGIBILITY: This call for submission is open to all artists. This is a juried show for artists working in all traditional and non-traditional 2D and 3D media. All artwork must be original in concept, design and execution. Note: kit work or reproductions of original works in other media (such as giclee reproductions of oil paintings), unless used as part of a mixed media work, will not be considered.
JUDGING: Entries that differ significantly from their digital images may be rejected. Decisions of the Judges are final.
SUBMISSIONS AND FEES: Early Bird Submissions from now through midnight, May 5th, $40.00 for one image, plus $5.00 for each additional image. Submissions received between May 5th and midnight June 12th, 2019, $45 for one image. plus $10.00 for each additional image.
All entries must be received by midnight June 12th, 2019. All entry fees are non-refundable.
ACCEPTANCE: Notification of acceptance of work will be made via e-mail or phone call by June 14th, 2019. A return confirmation of participation is required by June 18th, 2019, to hold a spot in the show.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCEPTED WORK:
1. Maximum Size: All acceptable art must be capable of passing through our doorways.
2. All work must, if appropriate, be suitably framed to a professional standard. No clip frames, saw-tooth hangers, or taped edges. Canvases may have neat, painted, gallery wrapped edges.
3. 2-D Work must be wired and ready for hanging, or easily displayed on a flat surface. No ceiling mounts or special installation requirements unless agreed to beforehand.
4. Sculptors must provide their own pedestals.
5. A label must be affixed to the work that indicates which end is the top and includes the following: Artist Name, Title, Medium, Dimensions, and Price. This information must correspond with the Accepted image as listed on our enrollment form. No artwork may be substituted.
6. All artwork must be priced for sale, at a commercially reasonable price. Any work marked POR (Price on Request) or NFS (Not For Sale) will not be eligible for entry into the show.
7. Work cannot be withdrawn, nor sales shipped, before the end of the show
DELIVERY OF ACCEPTED WORK: Work can be hand delivered to The Venue, 114 S. Grant St. Bloomington, IN 47408, and unpacked by artist beginning on Wednesday, June 23rd, continuing until June 27th. Work which cannot be hand-delivered should be ordered (UPS is our preferred carrier) to arrive at The Venue during the same time period. The handling fee for shipped works is $20.00 per package for the first 30 lbs plus $1 per pound additional. The artist assumes all responsibility for insuring artwork against shipping damage or loss.
LATE ARRIVAL AND RETURNS: The Venue reserves the right to reject work that is late, is deemed unsuitable upon arrival, is not properly presented, or differs from the submitted digital image. Returns will be solely at the artist’s expense.
SALES, COMMISSIONS AND DELIVERY: The Venue will retain a 50% commission on all show sales. The listed sale price must be consistent with the artist’s normal retail sales pricing. No changes will be allowed. Sold works will remain until the end of the show. If sold items require shipping, The Venue will manage shipping at the expense of the buyer.
REMOVAL: The return of artwork is the responsibility of the Artists, within 30 days of the end of the Show, unless otherwise agreed. Art not removed by this deadline will become the property of The Venue Fine Art & Gifts.
USE OF IMAGES: Any image submitted may be used for any kind of marketing and promotional purposes directly related to this show. We will strive to credit individual artists as the opportunity allows. Copyright and all other rights remain that of the artist.
CONTACT/QUESTIONS: Please direct all questions prior to receiving your Notification Letter to Venueartshow@gmail.com. If accepted, your Letter will direct you to contact The Venue for further information.
ENTRY AGREEMENT: With the submission of artwork into The Venue’s “Art & Soul of Bloomington” Juried Art Show, the artist agrees to all the terms and conditions set forth in this prospectus.
SIGN UP NOW. Begin by emailing or calling The Venue at Venueartshow@gmail.com or 812-322-1661